Date and Cashew Bars with Coconut (Vegan, Paleo, Raw + Gluten-Free)
Dates are a great source of dietary fibre and are rich in the essential nutrient iron; they are also a very healthy sweet treat that won’t add to your waistline making them a great option for a guilt-free snack. Cashew nuts are also high in essential minerals, protein and cholesterol lowering fats. Coconut adds a distinct yet complimentary flavor to these bars while also bringing along some extra fibre and healthy fats. They are also a great addition to your lunch box or handbag for those moments in between meals when you need a little healthy, low GI energy boost. This recipe is super easy to make, great for busy people. Moreover, it fits in vegan, paleo, raw and gluten-free lifestyles. Totally compatible with an alkaline lifestyle as well. Add it to your healthy recipes repertoire. You will love it! Date and Cashew bars are also great for breakfast or as a quick after workout snack.
Treat Yourself with This Natural, Vegan Protein Bars (addictive..)
Makes approximately 6 Bars
Preparation time: approximately 45 minutes
- 2 Cups (500ml) Soft medjool dates, pitted
- 2 Cups (500ml) Boiling water
- 1 Cup (250ml) Raw cashews, finely chopped (you can use a blender or a food processor)
- ½ Cup (125ml) Desiccated Coconut
- Rice paper sheets, enough to cover a baking sheet
- Soak the dates in the boiling water for about 30 minutes until they are even softer and have absorbed most of the boiling water
- Drain off any excess water
- Using a pestle and mortar, grind the now very soft dates into a paste
- Transfer the date paste into a bowl
- Add the chopped cashews and desiccated coconut
- Knead the ingredients together in the same way as you would knead a cookie dough
- Line a baking sheet with the rice paper
- Press down the “date dough” onto the rice paper lined baking sheet
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about one hour until set
- Cut into 6 bars, or the amount you may prefer
- These bars will be best stored in the refrigerator and can be enjoyed as a healthy sweet snack treat at any time.
To discover similar guilt-free recipes (perfect if you are busy, or not really fond of baking), I highly recommend you check out the “Blended Bites” recipe eBook available here.
The recipes were created by Carolyn Hansen- health and fitness veteran. Carolyn is an author, health and nutrition expert, fitness centre owner, & national champion bodybuilder.
All her recipes are paleo friendly. Mostly vegan, except for the recipes where she uses honey (if you’re vegan, you can easily substitute honey for maple syrup or similar to make it vegan).
Her recipes look like these:
Totally guilt-free, easy treats to impress your friends, family, and of course- yourself.
Don’t want to miss any of my posts? Follow me on: