All You Need to Know about Juicing to Start Losing Weight
Still wondering why your energy has left you? Even though you have that low-fat milk late in the morning, another coffee after lunch and some diet coke or low-sugar energy drink in between, and you count calories all the time, you still can’t lose weight, right? Add sugar and crappy carbs cravings, and you just feel like you need this cheesy bagel or more processed food to keep you going in the afternoon (add to it another cup of coffee). Then, in the evening you need some alcohol to unwind. You feel too tired to make a healthy dinner, and so you go for some packaged food. No good… this is a vicious cycle that needs to end! Now, I am not here to tell you that you will never be allowed to enjoy some of your favorite treats. I am here to remind you that you need to be in control of your health. I want you to resort to a natural, holistic way that will help you rest, recover, and reset your body and mind, as well as lose weight with almost no effort. Read on to discover the healing essence of juicing and get your juicer ready today. The results will be mind-blowing!
First of all, I want to let you know that I am not suggesting you go on a drastic juicing cleanse. Not that I am against cleanses, but I believe they should be designed for each and every individual and that one also should contact a doctor (preferably a naturopathic doctor) before embarking on a cleanse of any kind. I am always like a broken record with that! The approach I am taking in this article is: alkaline juicing as a natural food supplement. It means that I will advise you to add more juicing into your lifestyle. This one simple habit will kick-start your weight loss success, provide you with unlimited energy (you can always take your new energy with you to the gym), and simply make you feel and look amazing. When you feel good, you make healthy choices; it’s as simple as that.
Isn’t Juicing a Fad?
No, juicing is a real deal, and it can do wonders to your overall health. Think about it; even though many mainstream health professionals say that you should have your 5 a day, more and more holistic health practitioners state that, in this day and age, it’s not enough. First of all, not too many people stick to their 5 a day. And even if they do, in most cases, 5 a day is not enough for a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Why? It’s simple: think about our air, water, pollution and fast-paced lifestyles. Add stress, sedentary work, poor hydration, lack of sleep and relaxation, and over-worrying or negative thinking. All these factors result in creating an acidic environment in your body (check out my free eBook: Revolutionize Your Life with Alkaline Foods). Now, let me ask you a few more questions: do you drink, smoke, or take drugs (pharmaceutical drugs are also acid-forming)? Do you eat processed food and drink sugary sodas? If you do, your body (and mind) is getting more and more toxic. Your body starts to accumulate fat to protect itself from excess toxins and acid in your body. The solution? You need to alkalize and detoxify your body and mind. You need more vital nutrients!
Ok, Marta, but why juicing? Wouldn’t it be easier to take some dietary supplements?
Well, the answer is: no amount of supplements will correct a crappy diet. First, you need to create a healthy foundation of natural, holistic nutrition. This means that you should avoid:
- Sugar– specially processed sugar, but I also want to stress the importance of avoiding fruit juices- they are full of sugar as well, but more on that later;
- Alcohol-you can still have a glass of organic, quality wine from time to time, but you should not resort to it to fight stress; there are many other more sustainable ways of fighting stress; check out my section- natural therapy and spa;
- Caffeine-after drinking a couple of cups of fresh vegetable alkaline juice a day, you won’t even crave caffeine; personally, I recommend you choose green tea before black tea or coffee. But of course, if you have a balanced diet, you can enjoy your cup of coffee from time to time as a special treat. However, remember that caffeine makes you dehydrated and adds to adrenal exhaustion and inflammation- not the best combination, right?
- Dairy-cutting off dairy is one of the best things I have done for myself; first of all, eliminate cow’s milk, choose vegan options like unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk- these are mildly alkalizing and also Paleo and Alkaline diets friendly. Almond milk blends extremely well with smoothies, as well as herbal infusions like roibosh or kukicha tea;
- Gluten-containing baked goods and other processed grains (you can eat quinoa that is gluten-free and use almond or coconut flour for healthier baking)
- Red meat- it’s very acidifying; my suggestion is always, even if you’re not a vegan, try to explore as many vegan options as possible
Whatever diet you decide to choose, whether it’s alkaline, vegan, paleo, or gluten-free, you can always benefit from juicing. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Juicing helps detoxify your body and mind
- Juicing increases focus and productivity
- Juicing helps heal the digestive system
- Juicing can even alleviate arthritis, acne, allergies, celiac disease and cancer
- Juicing provides your body with an immense amount of nutrients, something that equals to massive heaps of vegetables, greens and fruits (would you have time and motivation to munch through all of that healthy mountain? Well probably not, and your stomach would say: stop it, at certain point, because it can only absorb certain amounts of fiber, even though it is natural).
- Juicing infuses your cells with phytonutrients that cleanse and alkalize
- Juicing allows you to get nutrients from foods you might not be keen on eating (I juice lots of greens like kale or spinach, and honestly, I am not that keen on eating them; however, I don’t have any problems in juicing them and drinking my “shots of health”) and provides you with natural energy
- Juicing acts as natural anti-age and anti-cancer treatment.
- Green juices help strengthen your heart chakra (Anahata) that results in emotional and spiritual wellness and the feeling of connectedness with the world and those around you. Personally, I have noticed that when I drink green juices, I feel more emotionally balanced and less prone to anger or judging other people. Don’t ask me why. But it works, and many people have stated the same. Conclusion- drink your greens; you can never go wrong with that!
- Juicing acts as a natural anti-oxidant, and it feeds all your cells with what they need. A body that is balanced and well-fed does not crave crappy sugars, caffeine and bad, processed carbs.
Ok, Marta, I drink fruit juices. Isn’t it enough?
Well, first of all, let me tell you that juicing fruits is bad for you. Yes! It’s pure sugar. Avoid it, especially if you want to lose weight. I know that many “health coaches” praise fruity juices and claim it can help you lose weight, but I don’t advise you take this path. I see many publications and authors recommending fruit juices even on so-called cleanses, and whenever I see it or hear it, I need to take a few deep breaths and make myself a green juice to balance my Anahata as I feel a raging wave of anger entering my body. Juicing fruits is a big no-no!
There are a couple of exceptions though:
- You can juice alkaline, non-sugary fruits (limes, lemons, grapefruits, pomegranates)
- You can add a small piece of fruit to your vegetable juice to give it more taste; this is a great strategy for beginners (for example, you can juice spinach, wheat grass, kale, and add 1 green apple and a couple of carrots for more taste).
More on fruit:
-fruits are a great part of a healthy balanced diet, but it’s better to have them with their natural fiber. That means eat them or have them in a smoothie (blended not juiced). What I really recommend for weight loss, though, is to use fruit to infuse water (get my book on fruits and herbs infused water here).
OK, enough preaching. Let’s get into the practical side! Don’t forget that information is never enough. Taking action is more important. As soon as you have your juicer, greens and a habit of juicing, you will conjure up your own recipes. You will also see what you like more and what works better for you!
You need to invest in a quality juicer. Yes, it will be one of the best health investments you will ever make. Remember that real beauty comes from inside. There is no need to spend a fortune on chemical beauty products. Look at your nutritional habits, first. Besides, think how more energy can benefit other areas of your life? Let’s take the real holistic approach. It’s not only about weight loss. It’s about vibrant health and massive energy levels that will help you improve all areas of life, not just one.
My recommendation: choose a low-speed juicer as it will help you preserve nutrients from your juices. I use Omega juicer. It’s really easy to use and to clean. It’s also relatively small. If you ask me, it was the best health investment I have made. I should have bought it ages ago!
What to do with pulp?
This is a question I get asked very often. I totally get it. What’s the point of throwing away the pulp of your organic greens and other produce? The solution is simple. Use pulp to make pancakes and cakes. You can also add it to stir-fries, soups and salads. Pulp from vegetable juices is full of natural fiber. It’s a great ingredient for gluten-free, vegan-style bakes and cakes. I am experimenting with it now, and as soon as I have new recipes ready, I’ll share them with you.
Alkaline Juicing- Food list
Leafy greens (choose organic) like spinach, kale, lettuce, wheat grass etc.
All kinds of alkaline veggies and fruits like cucumbers, zucchini, beets, tomato, garlic, fennel (it has a nice sweet taste), lemons, grapefruits, broccoli.
Herbs like mint, cilantro and ginger
Other than that, you can add some carrots, half an apple, or a few slices of pineapple, kiwi or peach for more taste. Not everyone can stand the taste of juiced spinach, but hey, if we want to be successful, we need to make some sacrifices, right? Just to make sure you’re not confused, as I have previously stated, you shouldn’t juice fruit, and I’ll repeat again- you shouldn’t drink sugary juices (even though natural). But, you can always add some fruit to your vegetable juices just to give you a nicer taste. It will help you make a transition. To be honest, I just go hardcore and can easily drink spinach + fennel + ginger juice. I haven’t got any problem with that. I just see it as an investment, and it pays off!
Other Alkaline Juicing Tips
Add 1 tablespoon of a good-quality cold-pressed oil to your juice. It can be olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil or other healthy oil. Adding oils to your juices will help your body absorb all the nutrients. You can also snack on a few nuts, like almonds (very alkaline, as well). Drink your juices as soon as you make them; don’t store them.
I also like Himalayan salt and black pepper with my vegetable juices. Sometimes, I add in some pulp so that it looks like a thick soup and is more filling. Again, try it and see if it works for you. Some people can’t tolerate too much fiber, and if you are one of them, you should stick to pure juicing.
Make sure you peel your veggies (unless organic) and always wash your greens thoroughly (these should always be organic).
Juicing Recipes for Weight Loss
Ok, finally a few weight loss and fat burn recipes. Add 1-2 juices (1-2 cups) into your diet a day and start the magic!
Recipe#1 Anti-Oxidant Green Juice
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce
- 3 cucumbers, peeled unless organic
- 1 big tomato
- 1 inch ginger
- Half bulb of fennel
- A few leaves of fresh mint
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
Juice and enjoy! Add some coconut oil and lemon juice (I prefer not to place lemons or other citric fruits in my juicer as seeds can damage my juicer. So while my juicer is working, I just squeeze one lemon using a mechanical lemon squeezer).
Recipe#2 Anti-Cellulite, Fat-Burn, Lymphatic Drainage Juice
- 2 cups of kale leaves
- 1 cup romaine lettuce
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of alfalfa powder to nourish and alkaline
Juice and enjoy!
Recipe#3 Super Energy Anti-Depressant Alkaline Juice
- 4 big tomatoes
- 1 cup pomegranates
- 1 cucumber
- ½ cup mint
- 2 grapefruits (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
Juice and then pour in the grapefruit juice and avo oil. Stir well, serve, and enjoy! This juice offers great benefits, not only for your body, but also for your mind. Its amazing citric-minty scent and massive dose of Vitamin C will boost your energy and revitalize your senses. Grapefruit is an excellent 100% alkaline fruit that blends really well with vegetable juices. And BTW, tomato is actually a fruit as well!
Recipe#4 Spanish Gazpacho Style Juice for Maximum Detoxification
This one is one of my favorites, especially in the summer. It’s a juice version of Spanish gazpacho. The ingredients are easy to get, and you can make this recipe on a budget.
- 4 cucumbers
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Himalayan salt
- Optional: 1 lemon, juiced
Juice and add some olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of Himalayan salt. If you wish, add a bit of pulp. You can also use it for salads and soups.
Tomato and cucumber juice is really easy to make and will provide you with amazing energy that you need for optimal health and an awesome lifestyle.
Final Thoughts for Motivation
The best place to start would be to have a juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Then, have a light and nutritious breakfast and try to avoid caffeine. Go for herbal infusions or (if you really need some caffeine) make some green tea. Try to have another juice around midday or in the afternoon. Commit to it. See it as natural medicine. And don’t forget to take your new natural energy to the gym. Big changes and transformation will start there!
Eat your greens and drink your greens (the latter can actually be much easier!). You can never be wrong with that!
For more tips and recipes, check out my books:
Watch for my next post- amazing alkaline recipes on the go (delicious, nutritious, easy and fast!).
With much love,
Marta and alkaline vegetable juices
Don’t want to miss any of my posts? Follow me on:
Marta Tuchowska is a passionate holistic wellness coach and author on a mission. She wants to help you create a healthy body, mind and spirit through a balanced lifestyle. Marta has a strong background in healing and health (certified in massage therapy, holistic nutrition, aromatherapy and Reiki), and she infuses her natural therapy knowledge with motivational and life coaching to help you create a life full of energy, health and happiness. Marta wants to make it easy, doable and fun. She calls it holistic lifestyle design for modern, 21st-century, busy folks! Check out Marta's work on Amazon, iTunes and YouTube. Join the exciting journey of total body and mind transformation!Read More > >